Whenever your car suffers from any issues, there are usually some telltale signs that can point to whatever is wrong with it. If you are in the area, you may need transmission repair services in Ajax.
These are signs to tell you whether your transmission needs repairs:
1. Grinding noises when shifting gears – When a transmission is functioning normally, it operates very smoothly; but if there is grinding or shaking whenever you change gears, that indicates problems such as low transmission fluid that needs to be replaced. For manual transmission, this can also indicate worn gears or clutches.
2. Noises in neutral – One way to check whether your transmission has any problems is to put it in neutral. If you hear any unusual noises, then you most likely have a problem with your transmission. At best, you may need to replace your transmission fluid. At worst, the sounds may indicate worn parts like gear teeth.
3. Transmission fluid leaks – Transmission fluid is necessary for your car’s ability to shift gears. If it leaks, then your car is more likely to experience wear and tear, enough to cause significant damage. It is also fairly easy to tell when your car is leaking because transmission fluid is not consumed during use so any drop in fluid is likely due to a leak. Leaks can be indicative of worn seals, pan leaks, or other problems.
4. Opaque transmission fluid – Transmission fluid is meant to be bright red. If the fluid is opaque, then the fluid is probably contaminated and in need of immediate replacement.
5. Burning smell – A burning smell is a natural indicator that something is wrong with your car, whether from burning transmission fluid or due to the gears overheating. The burnt smell also indicates something wrong with the fluid itself, as the fluid has a distinctive sweet smell. Contaminated transmission fluid can be as damaging to your engine as worn parts, so you need to have the fluid replaced.
6. Check engine warning light – Sometimes, you do not have to hear or feel anything wrong with your car. The check engine light can pick up any irregularities in your car’s engines, particularly the ones you cannot sense yourself, giving you a fair bit of warning.
7. Lack of response – Transmissions are meant to operate smoothly so in case your car takes too long to respond when changing gears, you will be alerted a problem. With manual transmission, the car might not move as quickly as the engine is running. Automatic transmissions can display a hesitation for the car to shift gears into “Park” or “Drive.”
8. Slipping gears – A working transmission is meant to maintain the same gear until you change it. If the gears suddenly slip, then your car can pop out of gear and force your stick back into neutral if you are driving manual. This is potentially dangerous, especially if it happens while driving on a busy street. Sometimes, your car may not even go into gear; this demands immediate check-up from an expert mechanic.