There are ways to remove unwanted hair from your body. However, most of these options come with various side effects. For example, waxing and plucking can be painful; while shaving may lead to chafing, stubbles, and ingrown hair.
Laser hair removal is an increasingly popular treatment to eliminate hair from your body because its results are relatively permanent and it leaves almost no trace of hair.
If you’re considering undergoing laser treatments to remove hair, here are some need-to-knows regarding the procedure and some awesome tips to make sure that you get the best results:
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
The technicalities behind laser hair removal treatments is simple. Hair follicles are destroyed by laser light pulses that selectively targets the melanin in them. The pulses are absorbed by the pigments and the hair follicles are destroyed just enough to slow down regrowth of the hairs.
What Are the Risks?
Laser hair removal is generally a safe treatment, but it a few risks including:
● Redness on treated area
● Tenderness on treated area
● Minor burns
● Blistering and discolouration
Note that while laser hair removal treatments are usually very effective, they may not be permanent. Depending on hair type, colour, and thickness, you might need to maintain the treatment (as prescribed by the technician) to ensure that hair growth is controlled.
Awesome Tips for Laser Hair Removal Treatments
● Avoid the sun. As much as possible, avoid sun exposure at least 6 weeks before your treatment. Having burnt or sun-exposed skin during the treatment could lead to the formation of blisters on the treated area. This is why many professionals recommend that you avail of laser treatments during fall or winter for less sun exposure.
● Invest in an effective sunscreen lotion. After the treatment, your skin will be more sensitive than usual. Protect it with sunscreen to prevent temporary changes in the colour of the treated part of your body.
● Keep cool. If you experience minor discomfort after the treatment, use cold compress or moisturisers. However, if the discomfort persists, make an appointment with a dermatologist or rush over to the emergency room.
● Don’t pluck or wax before your treatment. Laser treatments target hair follicles. Plucking or waxing before your treatment leaves nothing for the laser to target. To maximise the effectivity of the treatment and remove as much hair as possible, do not pluck or wax at least 6 weeks before your scheduled treatment.
● Shave. Some experts would ask you to shave 24 hours before or on the day of the treatment. This is because shaving would help the lasers reach the hair follicles better.
● Be patient with the process. Much to the surprise of many, laser treatments do not work right away. The hair on your body would slowly shed off over the next couple of weeks after your treatment. Do not try to hurry the process by removing the hair yourself as this could interfere with the procedure.
● Don’t wait too long between sessions. Waiting too long between sessions could increase the pain or discomfort you would feel during the sessions.
● Be consistent with the treatment. For effectivity’s sake, keeping consistent with your scheduled sessions is important.
When it comes to medical and beauty-related procedures, the investment is almost always worth every cent. Research and read reviews on clinics to determine where you can get an effective laser treatment in Toronto.